Tuesday, June 5, 2018

We've Been Busy!

We left Cherokee Landing in TN on Friday the 25th.  Even though Gene said he had slept well, he was still tired and asked me to drive.  I took over east of Colliersville, TN, drove through Memphis, over the Mississippi River and into AR - about an hour and a half.  Thanks to the GPS (which was working fine), I made all the proper turns into the proper lanes.  I was really proud of myself!

Gene took over driving again and we went to West Plains, MO to meet with a dear friend, Rose, her daughter Maggie and her husband Austin.  Their baby is due in July.  Doesn't she look adorable?  We had a wonderful, though way too brief visit, and we were on our way again.                                          We drove to Mansfield, MO and stayed at the Laura Ingalls Wilder Campground,right across from Laura and Almanzo's home.  Gene walked over to take pictures, while I relaxed.

Saturday morning we were up early
to start the last leg of our journey to Sedalia, MO Fairgrounds for the Escapade.  Gene set up our 
table for our chapter on the Row while I registered.  Our friends Marty & Peggy were at registration
and we soon saw other members of our chapter.  Opening ceremony was followed by Row Rep dinner.and then back to the RV.  There were transportation golf carts and a special one designated for Handicap.  Ruth gave me her
 cell phone number and I could text her whenever I needed a ride.  What a blessing!  Sunday through Wednesday Gene & I manned the table, answering questions, giving information and signing up people who wanted to join our chapter.  I really enjoyed getting to meet all the people.  Sunday night Bil Lepp, Storyteller had us in stitches.  It was a knee slapping experience, only I was slapping Gene's knee and not mine while tears ran down my face.  I'm surprised he didn't have black and blue marks!  If you ever have the chance to see him, don't miss it.
Thursday Lynn & Becky asked us to join them for a jaunt to Steak & Shake and then to listen to Ragtime piano players on the square as part of the Scott Joplin Jazz Festival.  Closing ceremony was at 3:00 and then I was ready for a long nap.  Gene attended the Street Party and fireworks.  I looked at the beautiful pictures he took and that was good enough for me.                                                     

Friday we left Sedalia and drove to Council Grove, KS to another beautiful COE.  The sites were concrete with a shelter over the picnic table. a grill and fire pit.  Our site was on an estuary with a family of geese in residence.  We met our neighbors Lee & Pat and played Skip Bo and Fast Track.

Sunday we drove down to Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and took the bus tour.  Evidently the grass doesn't get really tall until the fall, but we saw flowers, multiple varieties of grass and bison. We ate at the Hays House in Council Grove, started by Daniel Boone's great grandson, Seth Hays, then toured some of the sites.  It was a wonderful day.                                                                               


Monday we were on the move again to Bartlesville, OK to a nice Passport America campground, Riverside RV Resort.  I've been able to catch up on my emails and do a couple weeks worth of laundry. They have very clean laundry room and showers.  Tomorrow we head out again.  So until my next post (depending on wifi),  Safe travels and God's blessings to all our friends and family.

No comments: