Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Davis Bayou Gulf Islands Seashore

Thursday, June 14th we left the campground and drove back into Lafayette to get pictures of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist - impressive architecture - very beautiful.

We headed to Mississippi on I-10.  In the past, I-10 in Louisiana has not been the smoothest of roads,  but we found it much improved.  Just before Baton Rouge, I noticed the GPS showed the elevation to be -45 feet below sea level.  Made me want to get to higher ground.

When I was plotting our course for this trip, I made it a point to go to The Shed in Ocean Springs, MS.  Friends had taken us there before and I was looking forward to eating there again.  Delicious brisket satisfied my craving.

We drove a few miles to the National Park campground and settled in for three days to regroup and rest up.  Our camp host, Kevin White, came by to invite us to a barbeque he was providing for the campers on Saturday.  At 3:00 we gathered at Jim & Nancy's campsite.  He has a huge smoker/grill fueled by wood and had been cooking ribs since that morning.  He cooks them Kansas City style - no sauce, just a rub.  Each of us had brought a side dish and we enjoyed a feast.

So, we're all sitting around digesting and talking and Kevin comes over to the table.  During the conversation I asked, "Are you related to the White's that came over on the Mayflower?"  "Yes", he said, "I'm descended from Peregrine White who was born in the Massachusetts harbor November 1620."    Now sometimes, my emotions get a little out of hand (Don't anyone out there laugh!)
I was beating on the table and shouting "Me too!  Me too!"  He was as flabbergasted as I was.  What are the chances of ending up in the same campground in Mississippi as a "relative"?   We went back to his RV and he made copies of the genealogy papers for the first few generations of White's.  Wow, so amazing!  It really is a small world.

Now in my plans, I thought we'd take a few days to get home.  We left Sunday morning and drove  to Daphne, AL to attend church at Church of His Presence pastored by John Kilpatrick (He pastored the Pensacola Revival at Brownsville Assembly of God that began Father's Day 1995 and lasted several years).  You truly sense God's Presence during the worship and message.  I'm so thankful we could be there for the service.

Gene set the GPS for "home" and I knew I might as well settle in for the long trip home.  We left at 12:30 CST and with a couple stops for gas and eats, we arrived home 9:30 DEST.  Gene did all the driving, but we were both exhausted.   Perhaps a good thing because our daughter, Jennifer, had remodeled our bathroom - new tile shower,  floor tiles, vanity, mirror, lights (and armoire on the way) and we were not to open the bathroom door until she could be here and see the expression on our faces.  She stopped by the next day and we were overwhelmed at the transformation.  It's absolutely gorgeous!

So, we're home, mostly unpacked and getting back into our routine.  I've enjoyed sharing our adventures with you.  Until our next trip, safe travels and God's blessings to all our family and friends.

No comments: