Sunday, August 2, 2015

Surprise, Surprise!

   It was a beautiful day for Uncle Bob's celebration.  We traveled to Monponsett Inn in Halifax, MA, Gene
let me out at the doorway and parked the RV.  I was delighted to see cousins, aunts and uncles whom I haven't seen since 2008.  I was standing in a group with my cousin Matt when I heard him say, "Hi, Faith".  I turned and had the surprise of my life - there was my sister Faith and her husband Len from Tallahassee.  I was speechless for a moment as questions ran through my head.  "How did they get here?",  "Where were they staying?",  "Did I miss an email?"    Oh, no, she and Aunt Betty had been planning this surprise for months!  Faith and Len had purchased an Apex travel trailer and driven up on what she hoped was a different route from us so we wouldn't end up in the same campground and spoil the surprise.  She said she was going for "shock and awe".  She hit it 100%!  I cannot put into words how special it was to share that time with our family together with her.  We reminisced with cousins, Lynn, Janice and Beth at our table.  We were delighted their mother, Aunt Ruth, could be there also.  We were able to meet Janice's husband, Marty and many grown children of our cousins.  Lynn gave us a "Cradle Roll Certificate" with Dad's name on it.
I saw my cousin Daniel who had come from Oregon and gave him family pictures for him and my cousin Peg.
Uncle Bob & Aunt Ruth brother & sister

Faith, Glenna, Len, Uncle Bob & Aunt Betty table behind
Uncle Bob played two beautiful pieces on his violin before our meal.  He has played and crafted violins for many years.  It was inspiring to hear him play and watch his nimble fingers.  Aunt Betty did an outstanding job of planning the event with help from daughter, Ty, and daughter-in-laws, Mary, Maureen and Theresa and other family members.
When the meal was over, two citations were presented to Uncle Bob for reaching 90 years of age by the State Senate and the State House of Representatives.  After a wonderful time of visiting, we followed Faith and Len back to their campground to see their trailer and hear the details of the surprise planning.  We made plans to go to the Freetown Historical Society Museum after brunch at Aunt Betty's the next morning.  What a wonderful, exciting day we had and more to come.       next post "A Walk Down Memory Lane"                                                            

No comments: