Friday, October 30, 2009

Continuing Our Short Trip

Tuesday, Sept. 22, dawned a beautiful day - just perfect for my 65th birthday. Our travels have worked out that I've not been home for my birthday for three years. Thanks to cell phones, my daughters can call and wish me "happy birthday" where ever we happen to be.

We left Horseshoe Lakes and drove up Hwy 63 which is also named George Rogers Clark Memorial Highway. George was William's older brother. As we traveled into Northern Indiana, we saw many windmills. In Remington, IN, we learned that it is the windiest corrider with winds reaching 60 mph. The windmills have three 35 foot blades, can reach 130 mph at the tips of the blades and can produce 2100 rpm's. I was impressed.

We spent the night at a Passport America affiliated campground - Cassidy Motel & RV Park in LaPorte, IN (back into Central Standard Time). The owners had picked tomatoes earlier in the afternoon and gave me some. They had the most delicious flavor. I enjoyed every bite of my tomato sandwich.

We left the next morning and crossed into Michigan (back into Eastern Standard Time) and drove to Silver Beach County Park in St. Joseph. It has been our custom to dip our tootsies into each of the Great Lakes we've been near. Last year we wet our feet in Lake Huron (Canada side) & Lake Ontario (US side). I put on my crocs and windbreaker and Gene & I headed for the water of Lake Michigan. Yes, it was cold and I didn't leave my feet in for long, but sacrifices have to be made to keep up the tradition. We enjoyed a leisurely walk along the beach and then out to the pier that juts out into Lake Michigan. Warnings were painted on the pier about waves washing over it. It was a calm day so we felt safe, but didn't linger.

We journeyed on to Allendale to visit with Gene's granddaughters, Ruby and Sage. Over the next couple days we went out to eat, drove to Grand Haven and walked out to the lighthouse and then had a picnic lunch, and visited Post Family Farm where we enjoyed a hayride, pumpkin doughnuts and apple cider. We really enjoyed our visit with them.

Friday morning we were on the road again heading south to Celina, OH for the Gypsy Journal Eastern Gathering.

This is another good stopping point, so I'll bid adieu for now.

God's blessings to all of you.

No comments: